вторник, октября 11, 2005

Ufa

Thursday is rather a blur... I got my backpack together before I went to work. Got on the train and was asleep in my sleeping bag liner within 20 minutes. I have got this night train riding down to a science. I was so nervous and excited to get there.

Quick note: For those new friends since my mission- I spent 18 months as a missionary for the LDS church. I volunteered in Ufa for 10 of those 18 months. So I have really close relationships with the people there.

Pasha met me at the train station and from then on it was a non stop stream of conversation and greetings for almost the whole weekend. Church on sunday was the best! Only a few people knew that I was coming and everyone else had basicly the same reaction- 2 seconds of stunned recognition and then hugging and crying and laughing. It was the sweetest sort of reunion. I thought that most people would have forgotten who I was. Everyone remembered me and was so happy to see me and wanted to invite me over for dinner. Without being cliche, I have to say that is what the CK will be like. It was really like going home to my "family". The emotions I felt being there again were so strong. Even the memories of places and associated events came back so vividly that I cried several times.
I felt that real joy of seeing people you love and have tried to help, happy and that they have continued to do well.
I met up with several of my old english students and we went to a cafe and "guliated" together. People gave me presents and flowers. I felt like a returning hero or something.
The only sad part was that I couldn't stay longer. I managed to have several good one on one chats with my friends, but of course I wished that I could have had more time. I will try to get back there for at least one more weekend before I leave Russia.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Supercords said...

I'm so happy for you. That must have been really nice. I've been away from my mission for so long, that I'll never get to have that experience.

Shane

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I am lucky. I know. :)
Maybe you and your wife will get to go on another mission when you retire :)

 

Отправить комментарий

<< Home