среда, сентября 14, 2005

Tricky Policies

I had a discussion with one of USAID's gurus of Eastern Europe about the needle exchange part of my internship (working with IV drug users) and what was allowed under USAID policy. Everytime I mention it to USAID people they say that's something I definitely need to be careful of - not doing something against the policy. Anyway, here is part of the response I got back from the guru... You'll see how tricky it is.

HIV/AIDS Prevention Programs for Injecting Drug Users (IDUs): USAID is committed to supporting effective strategies to prevent the spread of the HIV/AIDS pandemic by injecting drug users. However, USG policy is not to use federal funds for the purchase or distribution of injection equipment (needles and syringes) for injecting illegal drugs. Therefore, USAID funds may not be used to purchase commodities to be used in either a needle/syringe exchange program or research programs on needle/syringe exchange. See the Administrator’s December 30, 2002 cable (State 267675).
Many other activities targeting IDU and HIV/AIDS reduction are acceptable in a USAID-funded program. Examples include the following:
Providing factual information about the medical risks associated with the sharing or re-use of needles, syringes, and other drug equipment; ! ! !
Supporting certain program components of a comprehensive risk reduction program, including but not limited to community outreach;
Educating about the risks of injecting drugs and sharing needles;
38
Referring to health care and drug treatment services for IDUs; ! ! ! ! !
Counseling and testing;
Condom purchase and distribution;
Substance abuse treatment; and
Safe sex education.


It's still hard to tell if handing out siringes that I in no way used USAID's money to purchase is going to be allowed?? At least that's only one part of my internship activities. I probably am worrying too much. I just wanted to see if anyone else understood this better than me.